Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Same bat infection, new bat  antibiotic.

After spending a weekend with a  completely pathetic and practically bed fast Dogger I did what I said I was going to and called the vet first thing. They let me drop her off at lunch and pick her up later. Dogger was in such bad shape when I came home I almost had to carry her out to the car.

She did cheer up when she realized she was going in the car but she didn't have the energy to do her Doggy Dance of Joy and accompanying Doggy Song of Joy while we drove there. I had to pick her up to get her out of the car.

Once in the office she cheered up again but discovered the slick floor was not her friend. She had to be picked up and carried into the back. It was awful. I came back after work and she was a much happier dog. She danced and sang and carried one - I think its a ploy to go home. Its her way of saying Clearly, I am in good health! There is nothing wrong with me! You don't have to leave me here any longer! I am cured! I am in Perfect Dog Health! Here let me do the dance of health for you!

The vet and I agreed that the bacterial infection in her knee has become resistant to the ABT that she's been on more on that off since last March. It was inevitable and I will now how to remember for ever more that she shouldn't be on cephalexin because it doesn't work on her anymore. I guess I should call her other vet and let them know so they can chart it Sigh

She danced and sang in the vet office but she still had to be lifted in and out of the car. When we got home I gave her the new ABT and fed her and then she went and fell asleep in her crate. She was exhausted by all the singing and dancing, she hasn't as much as hummed in a week and she barely walks much less trips the light fantastic. She was worn out.

Lets all hope the new med works. I'm supposed to call the vet on Thursday to let him know how she is and to chart our course if it isn't.

Yesterday was Dogger and mines seventh anniversary. I adopted her December 21, 2002 curtesy of the Alamance County Animal Rescue. From a vets office. It should have been a sign...

No comments: